Where to buy tickets? Do I need a permit?

Things to know about camping in the Black Rock Desert

Where to buy tickets? Do I need a permit?

Postby dustbunny » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:56 pm

There are no tickets to buy for this event. Indeed, there is not even a particular event. Some people like to visit the Black Rock Desert at various times of the year. One of the popular times to go is around the 4th of July holiday so there's likely to be rather more visitors than usual around this time. If you prefer your desert with more solitude, it might be better to arrange a different schedule or, using the fact that it's really quite a large desert, simply find a secluded spot by avoiding some of the predictable concentrations of campers in/around an area within a few miles of the railroad crossing near Frog Pond.

The Black Rock Desert is adminstered by the federal government by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). It's America's land, and belongs in effect to all Americans. It's yours to experience, enjoy, and respect within the confines of lawful and environmental considerations.

As to whether a permit is needed, some information can be found here:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recrea ... ermit.html

My interpretation of this: individual small groups of people don't need a permit, while large organized groups may need one. You shouldn't rely on my interpretation. You should also be aware that some people have found differing interpretations even among different BLM officials on various topics.

If anybody has more specific information, please chip in.
dustbunny

Return to Desert camping